Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 11th - April 15th

Wow.  Now that I had missed drawing for a week, I was RUSTY!  I had forgotten since spring break that taking even a week off can make you feel completely stupid when you get back.  We were officially in the full swing of working on hands, and I had some catching up to do since I had been in Texas the last week.


We were supposed to do at least one drawing of the skeleton hand and at least one drawing of the model's hand, so I'm going to post both and talk a little about each of them.  I decided to do the skeleton hand first, because I thought that maybe seeing the inner-workings of the bones might help me to understand what I'm looking at when I see the real thing.  And honestly, I think I definitely made the right decision.  Even though it was extremely frustrating and challenging to work on the skeleton, it really gave me a better grasp of what's going on.  I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on any cross-contours, because this honestly took me forever to just get the bones right.



Once I had finished drawing the skeleton, the next class period I did a couple of hand drawings of the model.  I'm only putting this one up, but only because it's a little more of a dynamic drawing, not because I feel like I drew it poorly.  I really enjoyed the way the model held her hand in this pose, because it really gave you a lot of stuff to work with visually.  The shadows cast by the knuckles and on the fingertips were very strong here, so I decided to do just a little bit of shading to show that.  I have NEVER been able to do convincing hands before, but after really learning about the bones and studying the skeletal hand, I think that this actually turned out pretty good.  Especially since before when I would draw hands it just looked like five sausages coming off of a stump haha.  So I'm definitely pleased with this drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment