Saturday, April 2, 2011

March 28th - April 1st

Once I got back from being sick, we had not only talked about the upper back and shoulders, but also the collar bone and the arms.  One thing that was challenging for me at first was understanding how the collar bone and the shoulder blade look when you move the arms around.  Thankfully they are both relatively easy to spot, depending on the position of the arms, but they were still difficult at first.  The more we practiced them, though, the easier it became.

In the long drawing image that I have for this week, the model was sitting in a chair and we were supposed to draw her torso area along with her collar bone and arms.  I included a little bit of her upper thighs and decided not to draw her hands, as we hadn't gotten that far yet and I didn't want to screw them up.  I also really tried to focus on working on line weights in order to add spacial dynamics.  I wanted the closer body parts to be closer than the ones that were farther away.  I also added darker lines underneath the breasts to indicate a severe shadow, and darker lines on the collar bone since that was one of the emphases of the week.


Honestly, I have to say that this is probably my favorite drawing so far that I've done throughout the semester.  I think I really captured the model this week, and did a much better job on incorporating the heavier and thinner line weights to emphasize 3-dimensionality.  Maybe that's just me, but I really like this one.  

I definitely think that drawing the torso is my favorite part of this class so far.  Maybe it's just because once you incorporate the whole body, including the hands/feet/head, it looks too finished almost.  I don't know; I kind of like the sketchy look sometimes and that's how this drawing looks.  I'm excited to start drawing the hands soon, though, because I really like the complexity of the hands and how challenging they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment