Friday, May 6, 2011

May 2nd - May 6th

This week we finally got lectured on the skull.  We got in small groups and some of us drew the skull of the skeleton and some of us worked on the skull of the model.  I did the skeleton's skull.  In the very beginning of the class I positioned myself so that I had a frontal 3/4 view, but someone (not naming names but he's been doing it all semester) decided once again to stand right in front of me, so I had to move...again.  Anyways, enough venting :)


So I moved places and ended up having a 3/4 view of the back of the skull.  And it sucked.  I just really did not like drawing from this view.  The majority of the drawing was just the cranium, and then I had to draw some of the outside of the upper jaw as well as the inside of the opposite jaw.  It was really complicated to look at, and I just really didn't enjoy drawing it.  I don't know why, because it was complicated, which I usually like to do.  Maybe I was just bitter from getting my spot jacked.  I don't know haha.  But anyways, I added some value to this drawing as well because there was just so much shadow that I felt like I should at least show it a little bit.  I did some cross contour lines on the top of the skull and wrapping around the skull, but on this picture you can hardly see it.  If you click on it and make it larger you should be able to see it, though.

Once I finished and stepped away from my drawing, though, I noticed that the jaw should have been just a tiny bit lower.  It's not really that noticeable, but as I'm my own worst critic, it's something that I obviously notice.  But it's really not that bad.  I just wish that I had gotten to draw a frontal 3/4 view, because that looked so much more interesting to draw!  Oh well.

I'm really getting nervous, though, because I know that we have to do a self-portrait for our last project and I'm not sure if I'll be able to put all of the facial features together on a skull and make it look convincing.  I guess we'll find out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment