Sunday, May 1, 2011

April 25th - April 29th

We're done with the hands and finally started the skull and face!  This is something I'd been looking forward to, although I can't deny that I was terrified haha.  Drawing the head, and especially the face, is something that you either hit or miss.  I've never been great at it, but I was hoping that with this class it might be different, since we actually get to learn the structural make-up of how to form the drawings.

Instead of starting the skull right away, we actually went to the nose, lips, and eyes before we did the skull drawing.  I felt like I did pretty good at working on just the specific facial features, but I'm scared to throw it all together and incorporate the shape of the head into the drawing as well.


This first image is of Lu's nose, philtrum, and a little outline of his upper lip.  I had some help with Amy on this one, but I have to say that I feel like I nailed it.  This is exactly what his nose looks like.  I'm very happy with this drawing.  I actually really like drawing noses now.  I used to hate them, but now that I know how to structure them, I really like them.


I can't remember what this girl's name is, but this is her eye.  I feel like I did a good job of drawing the structural lines in order to form the eye socket.  But as far as likeness goes, I'm not sure that I did all that great.  I've always been really bad at drawing eyes, and apparently this class isn't going to help that at all haha.  I'm just going to have to accept that.


This is Cliff's nose and lips.  I actually think that I did a pretty good job of capturing likeness here, as well as incorporating all of the structural lines that are necessary to get successful proportions.  Cliff is pretty tall, and I'm really short, plus I was hunched over on the drawing horse, so I'm a little below him here, which is why his nose looks the way that it does.  He doesn't really have some crazy nose that's pointed straight up; that's just how I was sitting!  Next week, we're going to be drawing the skull and trying to put the face with it (I think), so I'm kind of nervous.

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment