Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 7th-11th

During this week, we focused on learning how to draw the lower legs and feet.  During the gesture drawings, it was kind of nice because all we had to do was really draw a single line to signify how the legs and feet would work together, but once we got to the long drawings it got a lot more complicated.

I actually feel that I did pretty well on the feet.  Following the lecture on how the foot bones and toes work together, I still don't think I have the greatest understanding of how the bones line up and how they interact with eachother.  We did some 5-minute long drawings just to get some practice before the long poses, and here is an image of 4 different 5-minute poses.


I still think that the toes are pretty complicated to draw, and I don't know if I'll ever get them exactly right.  But for a first attempt and also considering how far we all are from the model's toes, I think I did okay.  It would obviously be a lot easier being right up close.  The one thing that really stuck with me was Amy telling us that the high point of the foot comes up from the 2nd toe.  I made sure to draw that line from the 2nd toe up to the top of the foot to make sure to show the contour lines on the two drawings to the right.  I didn't on the left since I couldn't really see that line.

On Friday we got to the longer drawings, and we had a lot more time to focus in on the feet and really see them.  We also had the male model, and so the poses weren't nearly as feminine.  Here is an image of my long drawing from Friday.


In this drawing, I focused a lot more on the foot on the right, because it was closer to me and I could see more of it.  I really tried to show all of the different plane changes with my contour lines, and Amy came around and told me that I had done the toes well, but to try to also show the bones on the inside, even though obviously we can't see them.  For the ankle bone, I tried to show how the bone is really formed with the tibia and fibula.  I think it turned out pretty decent.  I was happy with it.  Feet normally gross me out, but I actually really liked how complicated and intricate the feet are.  It takes a lot more time to draw and a lot more attention to detail, which I love doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment