Friday, March 4, 2011

Midterm Post (Reflection on 1st Half of Semester)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/butlerj3/

(I organized these into sets on the page, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.)

Well, this has been a real learning experience.  That's for sure.  I can't deny that I was extremely intimidated when I walked in the first day and saw all of the huge drawings of the skeletons.  I didn't think I'd be able to make it through, but it's going all right.  The gesture drawings have really helped me a lot in the way I see things.  I'm always so meticulous and want to jump right into the detail, but this has forced me to look at the big picture first, and then work my way to the details (which is how you should do it).

The manikens have been really intimidating at times as well.  3-dimensional work is not my niche, and I really struggle with that kind of work, but I do my best to pore over the book and get the muscles as correct as possible.  A lot of the times I'm just not sure which muscles are supposed to go over the top or under other ones.  It's very confusing sometimes.

So as far as my Flickr pictures go, I included a few gesture drawings, which I honestly could NOT get any better quality than they are.  I took like 5 pictures of each one and those were the best ones.  So I apologize for that, but hopefully you can at least see them.  I included the pictures that I already have posted on my blog as well as a few others.  And there are two of them (Drawings 8 and 9) that are actually of my boyfriend.  I wanted some practice and so I convinced him to let me draw him.  He wasn't too happy about it at first, but now that I drew them he wants to keep doing it haha.  So I hope it's okay that I included these in my midterm portfolio.  I thought they actually turned out really well.  I was surprised because I only did 10 minute poses and I did them really quickly, but I'm happy with them.  Here is one of them.



I'm definitely glad, though, that I've taken this class, because it really makes me appreciate the human body a lot more.  I always knew that it was complicated and that it sucks to draw, but now I like the challenge and I have a better understanding of how to build it.  It's all about those babysteps!

No comments:

Post a Comment